Finally got round to doing the upgrade to WordPress 2.8.1 before I start some (hopefully) serious blogging on my latest project.
Unfortunately I came across a slight problem with WPAU (WordPress Automatic Upgrade). After a bit of google-ing I found other people have had the same issue. Mosher’sUnimaginativelyEntitledBlog thankfully came to the rescue.
This may only be a coincidence, but we seem to both be using 1and1 as our webhosting provider. The issue seems to come down to there being more than one version of PHP on the server. This confuses WPAU, which tries to use the wrong version. This can be forced to use the correct version by adding the following to your .htaccess file:
# Ensure PHP5 being used
# For WordPress auto upgrade
AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php
This also seems to have had the side-effect of speeding up page loads from WordPress as well. May have been causing more problems than I had realised.
Now the upgrade is completed, I can start blogging on my latest project!
Note: I take no responsibility for you messing up your .htaccess file. You should take backups before making any changes.